Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Les Potager des Halles, Lyon

We stood still on the bridge watching the sun sets as we were headed for dinner. Aaaahhh so beautiful, the clouds looked fluffier somehow and I wanted to touch it with my fingers. Ever since I was a lil gal, I've alwiz wondered wat's the texture of the clouds, wat's the sound like if I were to touch it against its background. Will it give me some raspy sound or just soft velvety swish?

haiii....the imagination of a 4 year old then. A child can really be as creative as he or she wants to be. I've been alone since I was a toddler under really minimum adult supervision *that explains why I'm so notti* so u can't really blame me if u gonna tell this notti monkey that you can't really touch the clouds nor it's gonna make any sounds.

today, reflecting back on my childhood, I'm glad that despite being independent, strong and hard-headed, I didn't turn out to be some hooligans or watsoever. 

Those are not REAL windows. It's a mural on the entire piece of the wall. Such beautiful Arts....it was painted all the way from the bottom to its roof. Yea those are not real shops either on the ground floor. Lyonnaise, that's what you call the locals here....lurve to paint the buildings this way. Especially those with no windows. Don't u think it's so pretty? Instead of a blank walls, now u see some really nicely painted ones with perpsective on it. Yeah the size has to be right, so when viewed at every angle it should look REAL.


When we arrived at Lyon on that very afternoon, our superb hotel concierge was so so helpful and amazing. Introducing her love for the city known for its amazing cuisine, endless eats and most of all the Capital of Gastronomy in France.

So of coz there are the few recommendations but we wanted to go to places WHERE SHE WOULD GO. That's the key word....I want to go to where you will go for your dinner.

and soon she made reservation for us at the popular local joint Les Potager des Halles situated by the Saone River. It has got a bistro - Le Bistrot du Potager at the corner run by the same boss. At the bistro, they don't take reservation so you just need to come and try your luck or queue. We were lucky that we dined at the restaurant instead bcoz the queue was unbelievable later towards the evening.


The tiny kitchen is located on the ground level. It's really really really tiny, reminded me of Japan. But the entire team here worked in such manner that nobody crash nor bang into each other especially when all these dangerous items like hot pots pans and knives are everywhere.


amuse bouche of tiny creme puffs with some really yummu savoury fillings of cream cheese and anchovies I think. Dusted with fragrant herbs powder.



Homemade pork sausages with grilled octopus and tomatoes which came in lovely green and the usual red. It was so sweet!!! the extra virgin olive oil was amazing, almost apple green. A few pieces of cheese added creaminess to this appetizer.



This was my appetizer, nope it's not desserts. Roots vegetables mashed, sprinkled with crispy lards and some other surprises as well. Really good texture!!!


When you are at Rhone Valley, drink Rhones!!! hehehehehe



JS couldn't resist some good quality beef done this well, char-grilled on the outside, u can still see the specks of salt on top. While I was bz eyeing the grilled eggplants. It looked and tasted PERFECT!!!



I chose the beautiful grilled seabream fillet on top of risotto and porcini mushroms. The risotto was so buttery, fish was grilled to a good crisp skin. Hearty and simple food but so so so awesome.


JS and his smellie cheese. We do enjoy cheeses a lot....especially aged ones. Despite its strong taste and smell, it's pretty addictive and only here in France u can get awesome artisanal ones like this.

To be fair, we must try a Sweet/Desserts bcoz a dinner is as memorable as its desserts. We ordered a chocolat fondant with vanilla creme and ice creams.

wow perfect!!! it's so thin. This one has been mastered with perfect timing and texture. So velvety!!! I wanna re-learn this again to make it THIS GOOD!!!

Read bout our attempt in making the perfect chocolat fondant *click here*


after dinner, instead of the Sun...now it's the Moon's turn to come out to play. :)))))))))) The scenery and buildings here were so memorable to me, it just reminded me of the jigsaw puzzles my grandma bought me....yea at 5, I was assembling jigsaw puzzles with buildings by the Rhone River. I m truly an old soul trapped in another body. Everyone agrees, and I am sure you would too if u know me.

JS shall we hitch a ride on this Vespa to get back to our hotel?
JS: "No we shall walk and burn off all the calories."


and we walked and walked and sang silly songs along the way. Climbed up the hill to reach our hotel which was perched on the Fourviere Hill. It was an amazing hotel, which commands an even more amazing view of the entire city.

voila!!!! and here we are. Villa Florentine is an old 15th century Convent, today it has been purchased and developed into a really nice hotel.

Les Potager des Halles is highly recommended, reservation is a must!!

Les Potager des Halles
3 Rue de la Martiniere,
69001 Lyon,
France.
Tel: +33 4 7200 2484
http://www.lepotagerdeshalles.com/


No comments: