Monday, July 30, 2012

Vanilla cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting

 
I got inspired by Nee Lee after she sent me a glorious website and started whipping cupcakes out. You see, I'm not really a cupcake fan coz it's usually just way too sweet. Plus I'm a very very savoury person....and I'm taking a big risk making something that I don't like to eat.

the recipe begins with mixing 2 eggs together in the mixer
it's best if you always remove your eggs from your fridge to rest before started using them
*only for baking*
the rest of the stuffs required for these cupcakes

so in the mean time while the eggs are beating for 30 seconds, weigh 1 1/4 cups of cake flour
*cake flour has got lower protein content*
1 1/4 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
*I didn't know wat it was, and JS got me Natrium Bicabornate and I trust this engineer
*
1/2 tsp of salt

then into the 2 eggs mixture, u add 3/4 cups of sugar
after it is completely mixed, u add in 1 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil

then reduce mixer's speed and slowly inter mix the flour mixture and 1/2 cup of Buttermilk
flour buttermilk flour buttermilk flour buttermilk

till it bcome completely thoroughly mixed like the above
so far so good rite? very easy rite?
most of all u don't use a lot of utensils = spells speedy cleaning later
line your muffin trays with papercups
and pour in the mixture 2/3 like the above
make sure you don't make a complete mess

in order to achieve that, just pour in the mixture into a jug/watever that u have with a pouring spout
and u will have a clean pour with no excess around your trays :))))
bake at 350 Fahrenheit = 176 celcius
for about 12-14 minutes depending on your oven
again pls do always use a pre-heated oven

my advice would be to always switch on your oven whenever you start to bake
*yesterday, my oven was switched on for 12 hours, baking/drying lavender off my soft toys, cream cheese fruits tarts, madeleine and finally roast potatoes for dinner :P*

the cupcakes are not perfect because I didn't sieve my ingredients :P
*lazy me*
okie, I will do better next time :)))))

do not let the cupcakes sit in its tray
once it is out...wait for a minute or two then transfer quickly into a wire rack
bcoz if it's gonna sit there, it will cook on its own pan

this recipe makes about 16 cupcakes
it could be more or less depending on how much your "pours" are
so I've separate them evenly - 8 cupcakes on each tray
next is the cream cheese frosting
prepare 1/2 cup of butter = 113 g
8 oz of cream cheese = 227 g
dunk them all in here....
by the way u need to take the butter out fr the fridge and let it rest for about 10 mins
it should be soft
then whip the above with 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 4 cups of powdered sugar *icing sugar*

When I saw the recipe 4 cups???? I actually reduced it to 2 cups
:P
and it proved to be a huge mistake....
>.<
whip till it bcomes like the above
creamie and yummy
put them into the pipping bag and start frosting
it was my first time frosting anything
>.<

it was horrible!!! coz it's so difficult for me....guess practice makes perfect huh?
well if u do use 4 cups of powdered sugar, then this frosting will be stiff but not too stiff, just nice
bcoz I added only 2 cups, it was a bit soft and will not sit nicely on top of the cupcakes
anyway....dun care lar...
maybe next time I'll just do 4 cups of powdered sugar
but the tasting note came....
my gawd....2 cups is already so darn sweet...I guess if I used 4 cups all my teeth gonna come out
>.<

but it was a good experience
I'll definitely attempt it again at 4 cups...just to see the results
and yes poor JS my guinea pig for all my baking
he also bought me this beautiful cupcakes stands
for every of my recipe, he'll get me something as "moral support" hahahhahahaha

so far he has gotten me a lot of nice and beautiful gadgets at home
including a beautiful glass holder for macarons *which I have yet to attempt*
he even got me the Pierre Hermes books on macarons :)))))
ok ok ok ok ok one day some day soon soon akan datang

thank you :)))))))))))))))))
you are the best guinea pig ever!!!!!
smoooocchhhhh ~~~~~~

and thank you to Nee Lee for inspiring this Monkey to get her ass into the kitchen and start baking
for more beautiful cupcakes to drool at, visit the author of this recipe at:
www.glorioustreats.com
trust me, after visiting this website it's gonna get ur asses into the kitchen too
:))))))))))))))


2 comments:

neil said...

Your cupcakes are lovely!!! Even more so since it's your first attempt.

One way to get nice, firm-enough frosting without getting diabetes eating them, is to not frost so much on each cupcake. I use a small tip and frost a layer of "stars" on each cupcake, like a carpet.

I also suggest you make 1/2 or 1/3 of the frosting recipe, since we don't usually want to eat so much of frosting, but still want to frost the cupcakes to make them look pretty! Hehehe

CHER-RY said...

Nee Lee you are soooo kind with your words...muakssss :))

good idea!! I'll try to make 1/2 of its recipe with "Carpet" frosting. hhahahaha. :D